Tuesday 7 June 2011

I < 3 Game Theory!!

The Longevity of Games

After getting into Starcraft 2, I suddenly realized something. I am super super into games... hardcore lol. I am mega into Poker, Starcraft, Snooker, Breakdance (amazingly it is kinda like a game), Music Games (ex DDR player, but love Beatmania, Drummania, and the Japanese Benami Series'... Rock Band is noooooowhere near in the realm of being anywhere as good as those), Street Fighter Zero 3, Psyvariar, Tony Hawks 4, Words With Friends (essentially scrabble), and learning Chess!



These are not random games that I have chosen. They have mega longevity. Why? Because despite playing them hundreds if not thousands of times, I will continue to keep playing them again and again. Why I hear you ask again like an annoying kid? Because the enthesis is on enjoying the process of playing it, not the end result of clocking (completing) the game.

This is a winning formula for getting me hooked. And for you game designers out there, getting hooked is what you want customers to do, so that they will spend shitloads of money on the game. Why else did Wii totally crush PS2 and Xbox when they all came out? The longevity of simple puzzle games like wii sports would easily crush the mega ton graphics movie like hitman adventures because seriously how many hardcore gamers are still playing the orginal "number 1" like Medal of Honour? No way, they're playing the most current one.

When I go to my brother's place I'm still playing Wii Sports.

Enjoy the last boss of Psyvariar. No I cant do what he did. But I'm trying to learn...

The genius of the game - Your bio ship spins, and when it spins it collects power from incoming fire. This power, called "buzz" allows you to level up and evolve to a different and better ship after a few level ups. In that instance when you level up, you are invincible for like 1/2 a second, which is great chance to collect more buzz. This is why the guy isn't dying lol. Only if a bullet hits the very center of the ship will it explode. But that makes it more about getting the best timing to collect the most buzz. The aim isn't just to not die, but to be able to get the highest levels per stage, meaning that its not about going to the areas with the least bullets, but the most efficient path for collecting buzz. That is what keeps me coming back to that game.





Prop Bet Results

2 weeks ago, I said I was going to do a prop bet with Bigniux and now its over. The results are in!

Some Overall Stats of the 2 Weeks;

Days played: 6 out of 14
Games played: 596
Profit Tally: -$932 (yikes)
Times Gone to FT as CL: 7
No. of Ships: 1
No. of Times KO'd by Bigniux: 2
No. of Times KO'ing Bigniux: 0
No. of Shared FT w/ Bigniux: 1
Bubbles: 4
$ per game: -$1.56

Final Score: -470 pts

Hmmm its not looking great is it lol. Fortunately, I had a mad tear before this bad downswing so I'm not feeling that bad, coz its expected.

But wow, Bigniux had a worse 2 weeks, his final score is -1337 pts!

We both EPICfailed in using the bet to get mad volume in. He actually played less then me, only playing 350 games, and 5 days lol.

However, despite this bad showing from the both of us... I won. A hollow victory mind you. Bigniux's new avatar for the rest of June is now this;


When you see this, you'll know why now haha.

I'll prob do another one, but with less distractions and more hardcore volume. It was pretty fun!



Best Username of the Month Award

wannuuuh...?  lol would love for him to ship a tournament just so that I can see that funny sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment