Tuesday 17 October 2017

Makers Week Eleven: Final Project - Lets Try 2 Build Atom!

So as I'm writing this on the Monday I'm officially starting Week 12, and Friday will be the end of the course. We will present our projects to a crowd a few employers, plus the mid and junior groups, and possibly some family and friends.

Its weird after watching about 4 of those that we'll actually be the next ones up there!

I will be sad when its over, as much of a roller coaster it has been I've loved it and the coaches are amazing, and they've really done a great job of creating an awesome community.

Geeking out, putting the big screen to good use after a hard day's work of coding!

IDEAS, IDEAS, & MORE IDEAS


The project actually started last week when I was writing about the tech tests. In fact, we got given our groups and had decided on the project the Friday previous, so we had already gotten in some weekend studying.

From the previous project, I had decided that since I was bursting with so many ideas lol, that any time I would have a thought I'd write it down on my phone for the ideas workshop.

So since I was 'prepared', it meant that I had pretty much taken up a lot of the whiteboard of potential ideas. I think I ended up with about ten ideas that made the board.

All our ideas were collated into groups and then we voted our first and second preferences. Groups were made of first choices, if it was possible.


Some crazy and/or ambitious ideas, focusing on being general for tech flexiblity

Final groupings of ides were Games, Product, Learn to Code, Build Your Own, and 'Other'
Learning from my success of the Pokemon Game for the iPhone, I decided that it was a good idea to keep my ideas general and that they would be based on what I wanted to try out.

In the end, I decided that it would be cool to try to build something from scratch. I've always wondered what it would be like to build a program, so this is a fantastic chance to find out!

My ideas in caps and mega black, ambitious enough? lol

UP AND ATOM!


After a discussion with our assigned "Build Your Own" categorized group, we decided that we would try and build the famous (in the coding community anyways) code editor Atom! And in case that was too easy, we also wanted to have multi user live functionality. We R madddd!

One of the cool things we found out was that Atom was open source, meaning that their code was freely available for anyone to use and learn from.

Another awesome thing that we found out was that Atom was built using something called Electron. Electron, we found out built other apps such as our messenger app Slack which we use extensively at Makers, my favourite Streaming site Twitch, Wordpress, and so much more!

So how does Electron work? Well, in simplemens terms, build you app as if it is a website, and then it will convert it!

Chromium is Google open source front end app, Node JS is a back end server side framework.

If you wanted a button that would go to another part of your app, make a webpage that does exactly that. This means that anyone that works with websites has the ability to make some apps!

This means that the language is in HTML, and logic is in Javascript. Simples.

However, testing was another matter. We found its official testing framework called Spectron, which runs the app as if it is a user to test out our various features. We had quite a lot of trouble working out how the language worked, as it was a little different to Javascript.

Anyways I'm quite tired now, its been quite a roller coaster so far. I'll keep trying to post on Mondays... it might be harder to find topics to talk about, but we'll see. For now enjoy our buzzword dinosaur... hopefully soon we will find developer jobs but I hope we don't end up at workplaces where they talk like that all day in meetings!

No comments:

Post a Comment